Hey y’all! So if it seems like I’ve been totally MIA from the blogging world…it’s probably because I have. I blame Christmas. Yes, Christmas! I’m aware that it’s only the second week of November, and we haven’t even hit Thanksgiving yet…but Houston got it’s first taste of cold weather a couple of weeks ago. And after I smelled that distinct smell of burnt air when you turn your heater on for the first time of the season….well, that was it for me. I was bit with the holiday bug, and have been in Christmas mode ever since! Is it acceptable to have your house decorated for Christmas 2 days before Halloween? I’m asking for a friend…
So this blog is all about making the most of your budget, and one of the things you don’t have to sacrifice when trying to save money is home décor. I’m a crafter, do-it-yourselfer, and all around
cheap frugal gal. So that’s why when I learned I could get one of these fo freeee, I was totally in!
Ok, let me start from the beginning. My cousin-in-law (that’s a thing right?) and her husband have a business called Love Built Signs.
You’ve all heard of Painting with a Twist (or places similar): you go to a location for a couple of hours and are guided through free handing whatever painting is featured for that day. Well over the past year or two I’ve seen businesses that offer something similar, but instead of painting, you’re making wooden signs. You with me?
That’s where Love Built Signs comes in. They provide “sign making parties” around the Greater Houston area. Right off the bat, here are…
3 Reasons It’s Awesome!
- They come to YOU! Yes, you don’t have to leave the comfort of your home (or your pajamas if you don’t want to). They bring everything needed to make their signs right to your house.
- You can customize the design, size, color, and stain of your sign to really make it your own.
- The best part….if you host a party, the hostess gets to choose their sign for free!
Last weekend, all the ladies in my family came up for our annual Christmas shopping trip and I thought it would be fun to have host one of these parties one evening. If you’re interested,
Here’s How it Works:
- Figure out a group of you and at least 7 other people. Love Built Signs requires a minimum of 8 people for a party, which is totally understandable since they’re the ones traveling to you.
- Go to their website, and click on Host a Party! Enter in your information (as well as the date you’d like to have the party), and they’ll get back to you pretty quickly…mainly just to confirm that they’re available that date, along with any other details.
- Once the date is set, Love Built Signs will send you a link unique to your party. Send that link out to the people in your party, and they will be able to choose from lots of different designs/sizes starting at just $15. But remember, for the host…yours is free.
- Once they have chosen their sign, they pay online via PayPal and that’s it! Love Built Signs does everything else….they bring all the boards, paints, stains, stencils for all the signs ordered to your house on the date of the party.
Now if you are just not a crafter, and the idea of creating any piece of art freaks you out….don’t let it! There are stencils for the designs, so you don’t actually have to free hand anything (thank goodness, because I am not an artist).
The evening I hosted a party was so fun! And really easy. Andie and Josh come and set everything up while you’re snacking and sipping with your girlfriends. Once it’s time to begin, Andie walks you through a step by step process that makes the whole thing completely stress free. It takes about 2 hours from start to finish, which flies by! When you’re finished, you have this beautiful custom made sign that YOU created. When the party is over, they clean everything up and that’s it! It could not have been easier on my part.
I can’t think of anything better than hanging out with some of my favorite people, making an awesome piece of home décor, while never having to leave my house. Oh, and the fact that mine was free totally didn’t hurt.
Not that you need an excuse to get all your gal pals together, but this would be a fun birthday activity, holiday party, office party, “Gal”entine’s Day, housewarming…or even a shower. Andie had the cutest idea about doing a party for a baby shower….and everyone could make a sign for a gallery wall in the nursery. Ah, how cute would that be??
If you have any questions, just let me know. By the way…I do NOT get a referral fee, or anything like that (I don’t even think they do that…). I just love to share budget friendly ideas when I can! Also, I recommend checking out their Facebook page for more pictures of the actual process and some of the different finished signs. They’ll also be able to answer any questions via FB like how far they’ll travel, what if you don’t have an 8 person minimum, etc. Also, if you are looking to host a party with a certain “theme” (Christmas, baby/wedding shower, etc.), just let them know and they may be able to create some designs specifically for your theme.