You Won’t Believe How Easy This DIY Fall Garland Is!
With only 3 supplies and less than $5, this pumpkin-inspired DIY fall garland is the easiest thing you will make this season!
Alright friends….you know I love a good DIY. I prefer easy projects, and most of my DIYs are just that….easy.
But this one, you guys…
Easy is being too generous. Try: ridiculously easy.
As I was decorating my living room for fall, I wanted a simple fall garland to hang from my photo ledges. Everything I found in the store was a little more than I was willing to pay for, so I decided to do what I love best…DIY it!
I found the most adorable stuffed pumpkins at Hobby Lobby and decided those would be perfect on a garland!
I’m going to show you exactly how I turned a bag of pumpkin fillers into a DIY fall garland….and it’s so easy, you won’t even be able to stand it!
DIY Fall Pumpkin Garland
This post may contain affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. To read my affiliate disclosure, click here.
Before we get started, I want to cover a few quick things about this DIY fall garland tutorial.
Here’s what this post is:
- a no-sew (no tools) DIY project
- a step-by-step guide
- a short and EASY DIY
Here’s what this post is not:
- a time consuming DIY
- an expensive DIY project
- limited to just pumpkins
DIY Pumpkin Garland Supplies & Costs
You only need three supplies to make this pumpkin garland, and you probably already have 2/3 at home.
- Small Stuffed Pumpkins
- I found my small stuffed pumpkins at Hobby Lobby. They had a variety of colors, and they were 40% off, costing me less than $5. You want to be sure they’re stuffed, making it easy for you to poke a needle through.
- Fishing Line or Thread
- Yes, this IS a NO-SEW tutorial. But you’ll need string/thread/fishing line to thread through the stuffed pumpkins. I used fishing line because I felt it would be the sturdiest. You want something thin that will be able to thread through the eye of a needle.
- Again, say it with me…”This is a no-sew project!” The needle (and thread) are just the tools you will need to “string” your pumpkins together.
Total Cost: $5
How to Make a Fall Pumpkin Garland
Now that you’ve gathered your supplies, let me show you how to knock this DIY fall pumpkin banner out in less than 5 minutes!
Step 1: Get Your Needle Ready
Thread your fishing line through the eye of your needle and tie it in a knot. Make sure you’ve unraveled a good amount of fishing line from the spool.
(I feel like there should be more in this section. LOL! But again….ridiculously easy DIY.)
Step 2: Thread Your String Through the Pumpkins
Take your needle and fishing line and simply stab/poke the needle through the center of each pumpkin, threading the pumpkins onto the fishing line.
Below is a quick time-lapse showing how to thread the needle and fishing line through the pumpkins. Also, ignore my angry faces….apparently DIYing makes me make mean faces. 😄
A few notes:
- I first tried going directly under the pumpkin stem. For some reason it made it more difficult to get the needle through, so for the remaining pumpkins I went right through the middle and it worked much better.
- If your pumpkins seems like they’re sliding around really easily, wait until you hang it. If you’re hanging your pumpkin garland fairly “tight”, they won’t slide.
- Some of my pumpkins were coming “untucked” near the stem. If you’re using the same pumpkins and this happens, you can easily hot glue the pieces down. I found that my pumpkin garland was hanging high enough that it was unnoticeable, so I didn’t need to glue those random untucked pieces.
Step 3: Hang Your DIY Fall Pumpkin Garland
Ok friends, the DIY portion of this tutorial is over. Like, 2 steps…and done.
I told you, easy!
Now it’s time to find the perfect place to hang your DIY fall garland. I love the way mine looks hanging from our photo ledges!
How Easy Was This DIY Pumpkin Garland?
I hope you enjoyed this simple (and I mean simple) DIY fall project. This is a great one to knock out during nap time, while you’re watching TV, or even if you’ve got a pair 5 minutes.
You could also include your older kids in making one of these!
This DIY fall garland would add the perfect touch of fall in so many rooms of your home:
- Living Room
- Kids’ Rooms
- Dining Room
Don’t forget to see how else I’m decorating for fall! You can find me posting alllll the fall things on Instagram. I hope you’ll come and follow along!
If you enjoyed this easy fall DIY, check out these other fall inspired posts:
- DIY Dollar Tree Farmhouse Frames + Free Fall Printables
- Trash to Treasure: Chalk Painted Pumpkins
- $5 Buffalo Check Wreath
- Dollar Tree Buffalo Check Banner
- $2 Fall Farmhouse Sign
- DIY Wood Bead Wreath