Need a fun way to add some farmhouse style to your home? Try some modern farmhouse shelves! Here are my favorite affordable picks (and a DIY option)!
This post may contain affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. To read my affiliate disclosure, click here.
Hey friends! This post has been a long time coming! If you follow me on Instagram, you know all about my modern farmhouse shelves. I talk about them often because I just love them so much.
The ones in my home are actually a DIY, and I’ve long wanted to put a blog post together summarizing how I “made” them. But I know not everyone is into DIY…so I’ve also rounded up some super cute and affordable modern farmhouse shelves that you can purchase!
Modern Farmhouse Shelves: DIY Option
Ok, full discloser: this is not an in-depth tutorial. More like just an overview. And that’s mainly because I kind of just winged it! But I’ll try my best to explain what I did….but trust me: this was super easy.
- Get your brackets. You need to get your brackets in your possession before you do anything else. Amazon has some great affordable options depending on what you’re looking for: like this 4-pack of floating shelve brackets, or these pipe brackets for a more industrial look. You can find more bracket options here!
- Go find your wood. Ok guys: I didn’t bother with measuring my brackets, and then taking those measurements to my local home improvement store and searching for those exact dimensions. I took my bracket with me and literally walked down the lumber aisle holding my bracket up to different pieces of wood until I found one that fit. I also used the cheapest wood I could find that fit my bracket. It may be unconventional…but this method was way easier and faster for me!
- Cut your wood….in the store! I already knew how long I wanted my shelves to be (so make sure you measure your wall before you head out to get your wood), so I got my wood cut right there in the store. I went to Home Depot, but I know Lowe’s and several other home improvement stores will cut your wood for you right there. This little tip is CRUCIAL for me and making projects like this a breeze.
- Stain your wood. I use Dark Walnut by Miniwax for all my staining projects, but any stain will do. I only did 2 coats of stain since I didn’t want the shelves to be too dark. You can lightly sand them before staining if you want, but I skipped right over that part.
- Screw the brackets into the studs. Honestly, this is always the hardest part for me. And it’s not hard…it just forces me to slow down and actually measure and all that not-fun stuff. I used this stud finder to find the studs, screwed the brackets to the wall, and then screwed the stained boards onto the tops of the brackets.
- Style your shelves! The fun part! I love switching out my modern farmhouse shelves for different holidays/seasons. Here are some different ways I’ve styled them this past year:
I realize this wasn’t the best step-by-step tutorial, BUT if you’re not following me on Instagram…you totally should! I talk through almost all of my DIY projects on my Instagram stories and save them to my story highlights. In fact, a verbal explanation of these very shelves is on my story highlights now! I’d love to have you follow along!
Affordable Modern Farmhouse Shelves
If DIY isn’t your thang, or you just don’t have the time…I gotcha covered! There are so many affordable modern farmhouse shelf options you can purchase. Here are some of my faves!
For more affordable farmhouse decor, check out my full list of Amazon picks here!
Don’t Forget to Check Out These Other Farmhouse Related Posts!
Decorating on a Budget: Farmhouse Master Bedroom Makeover
Home Tour: Our Budget-Friendly Playroom
DIY Refinished Farmhouse Table (A Beginner’s Tuhttps://her-happy-home.com/diy-refinished-farmhouse-table-beginner-tutorial/torial)
DIY Farmhouse Drop Cloth Curtains for Under $30
Leave a Reply